The Graduate School Handbook
The Graduate School Handbook contains the policies and procedures of The Graduate School, as established by the actions of the Administrative Board of The Graduate School. Each student should become familiar with the material pertaining to the degree program, and, together with a faculty advisor, make certain that the chosen program of study complies with all policies.
Section I: Contains information related to graduate education at UNC-Chapel Hill, including a description of The Graduate School and its Academic Policy Committee, a staff directory, and links to graduate education references. Section II: Describes the policies and procedures pertaining to the general academic requirements of The Graduate School. Section III: Provides a detailed outline of requirements for master's and doctoral degrees.
All graduate degree-granting entities at UNC-Chapel Hill including departments, curricula, schools, and programs will be referred to as academic programs throughout this Handbook.
The Graduate School has attempted to include most of the regulations governing graduate academic programs; however, many programs have additional requirements and regulations. Sometimes these requirements are more stringent than the general requirements of The Graduate School.
The Graduate School reserves the right to make changes to this Handbook at any time. In instances of discrepancy between this document and the University Catalog, this Handbook takes precedence.
It is the student's responsibility to be aware of, and comply with all regulations, policies, procedures, and deadlines.
Print The Graduate School Handbook
Changes to the current edition of The Graduate School Handbook include:
- Added a new Handbook section on the payment of Mandatory Student Fees, including associated revisions to the tuition award sections.
- Added detail about research misconduct and Honor Code processes.
- Clarified inter-institutional grading practices.
- Clarified temporary grade and extension of time practices, including faculty expectations for assigning grades.
- Posted a more detailed version of the Parental Leave Policy.
- Clarified medical withdrawal practices via Campus Health Services.
- Provided more detail on leave of absence (master’s and doctoral) processes.
- Updated web links and included new campus policies developed in the past year.