The Graduate School and the Administrative Board

In 1903, a separate graduate school with a dean was established. Several graduate degrees were awarded before the turn of the century, however, including the first degree of doctor of philosophy conferred in 1883.

In 1922, the graduate faculty voted, first, to vest in the Administrative Board of The Graduate School legislative powers in matters that affected graduate education; second, to authorize the Administrative Board to admit members to the teaching faculty of The Graduate School; and, third, to vest in the Administrative Board the responsibility for authorizing curricula and courses carrying graduate credit.

With the exception of the master of business administration (MBA), the master of accounting (MAC), the master's in clinical laboratory science (MCLS), the master's in radiologic science (MRS), the master of health sciences (MHS), the master of law (LLM), the master of education for experienced teachers (MED), and the master of school administration (MSA), all master's degrees offered by the University and the degrees of doctor of philosophy, doctor of education, doctor of nursing practice, and doctor of public health are conferred by The Graduate School.

Work toward advanced degrees at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill proceeds under policies and regulations established by the graduate faculty. The immediate direction of The Graduate School is in the charge of the Administrative Board, of which the Dean is chair. At present, the board consists of academic and health affairs faculty representatives appointed by the Chancellor upon nomination by the Dean of The Graduate School.

Academic Policy Committee

The Academic Policy Committee is a subcommittee of the Administrative Board of The Graduate School. This body is responsible for approving academic policies in graduate education, including any substantive changes to this Handbook. This body is also responsible for hearing student petitions when appeals or multiple policies may be involved or when there are differences between the student and academic programs concerning a policy in this Handbook.